Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Have you seen the US version of SKINS?.....

 This show called Skins originated in the UK years ago, Now the United States hopped on board to create their own version. This show called Skins is about a bunch of teenagers. The name of the series seems a little much for a teenage show, but after watching, it fits perfectly. I kind of felt a little foolish watching this program because it is for teenagers, and about teenagers. But the sex, drugs, lesbianic affairs, and partying ways of these cools kids got me interested. Not only because these aren't the sad little stories of some rich kids that have nothing better to do than to spend Mommy's money on drugs, but because this show is about regular kids, dealing with the issues that teens deal with in every step of their waking teenage years.

This show seems a little bittersweet to me because it takes me down memory lane to the high most. I remember these days of my youth and it is not far at all from where these guys are coming from. To think of some of the things that we use to do as teens and then now, to be older and being on the outside looking in, takes my breath away a little because that was my life. My self destructed life. My life of not really having a care in the world and partying, drugging, and sexing like a rock star. 

So far I have watched the first 3 episodes of Skins and I originally thought the name 'Skins' was about the fact that they are always getting it on... but after watching the first episode, they call their weed papers, skins, so I am assuming it has a double meaning. These teenagers are wild; popping pills, smoking weed in the school bathroom, alcohol in the hallways,lesbian and straight sex, stealing cars, crashing parties... There is a lot of what seems like fun going on in the lives of these youth that are only Juniors in high school. But underneath it all, there are real issues going on with these kids.

One of the boys has serious Mommy issues. The Mom takes off for weeks or months at a time, leaving this boy alone to do whatever he wants to do. It seems like what every kid wants, except this boy really wants his Mom back. This girl is a huge dike, but you would never know because she is at cute as a button. Well, all her friends know of course, but that leaves out the most important people of all that she wants to notice the truth about her which is her parents. She sleeps around with girls, but actually ended up doing it with one of her male friends because she is always seeking something extra, she is never satisfied. Then there is the regular problems of course, boy is in love with best friends girl, other girl will do anything for attention, and another other girl just trying to fit in, other boy just wants to get laid. The mastermind of this whole shebang is the star of the show, who seems like he doesn't have a care in the world, and who is only with his girlfriend, not because he is interested in her, but because she is 'Hot'. I'm pretty sure the plot will thicken.

I am pretty sure that there is sooo much more to these stories to come and I am excited every week to catch up on the latest episode of Skins to relive my youth over and over again. 

No comments: